Venue / Travel information
The summer school will be held at:
The summer school will be held at the IGeSA center on Porquerolles Island, close to the city of Hyères. The IGeSA center is located in Porquerolles village within 5-minute walk of the harbor. It is ideally located in a beautiful 8-hectare wooded park at walking distance from the La Courtade beach.
The participants will be accommodated at IGeSA center. PhD students are invited to share double rooms unless special needs.
The front desk is open every day 9-12am and 3-7pm.
The rooms are available no earlier than 4pm on Sunday, September 1, 2019. In case of a late arrival, the participants are requested to inform IGeSA by phone.
Checkout is no later than 10am on the day of departure.
IGeSA center accept cash and all major credit cards except American Express.
Porquerolles is the largest of the three Golden Islands (Iles d'Or) in the Hyères gulf (length: 7km, width: 3km). A charming village with a central square bordered by eucalyptus trees, white sand beaches and turquoise waters on the north side of the island, vertical cliffs in the south, multiple shaded paths winding through vineyards, olive groves and fruit orchards, this island is a miniature paradise either for restful family vacations or more sporty leisure activities.
Further information is available at:
Access to Porquerolles Island ► Travel guide
Porquerolles is an island and the most common way to get there is to take a ferry from La Tour Fondue ferry terminal. No cars are allowed on the island. Paid parking lots are available close to the ferry terminal if you arrive by car. Several options are available to reach La Tour Fondue ferry terminal (please refer to the provided travel guide, page 2) depending on the travel solution you take. You may:
1. arrive in Hyères or Toulon by train,
2. fly to Toulon-Hyères from Paris-Orly airport,
3. fly to Marseille or Nice,
4. drive to La Tour Fondue ferry terminal.
Important note: The last ferry on Sunday September 1 leaves La Tour Fondue at 7:00pm.
Please be aware that you need to add some extra time for transfers , especially if you take buses. Please check the bus schedules when provided.
- For your arrival on Sunday September 1, a quite straightforward option is to take TGV 6155. This train leaves Paris Gare de Lyon train station at 09:07am and arrives at Hyères train station at 1:43pm (travel time: 4h36min).
- Toulon-Hyères airport has direct flights from Paris-Orly operated by Air France. Flight time is about 1h20min. Please make your flight reservations to Toulon as early as possible. Flights to Toulon-Hyères operated by other airline companies are also offered from a very few cities in Europe.
- Alternative solutions consist of flying to Marseille Provence or Nice Côte d'Azur airports. Please be aware that the journey to La Tour Fondue is quite long from there (about 4 hours from Marseille, 4h30min from Nice).
- If you drive to La Tour Fondue ferry terminal, you will need to park your car in one of the parking lots located close to the ferry terminal.